Big thank you to those of you who made it out to our most recent meeting, held on October 26th at President Madison’s place.
As a reminder for those who were there, and an update for those who weren’t:
Board of Directors
– Kristi is taking over as President in January when Madison takes her maternity leave. We are also looking to expand our Board of Directors to lighten the load and allow more members to take on new roles. We have 3 positions
freeing up that need to be filled at the next meeting; Secretary
, Membership Committee Chair
and Director of Fundraising and Projects
. We provided role description print-outs at the meeting, and attached them to our latest email update. Let us know if you are interested or have any questions about any positions. It is a lot of fun to be part of the Board or Directors; do not fear these positions – we all learn as we go!
Strategic Planning Session
– Feedback – We have many successful events and ideas. The Club feels meeting was extremely positive and that our club is doing fantastic things, but the meeting lacked strategy and new learning from above. An update was received from each project chair, which you will see below.
Mud Kitchens (Lynlee) – Three public schools (Beachgrove, Riverside and Monk) have been selected for us to build outdoor learning centres for. Dave, Owen and James have volunteered to help construct. A $400 budget has been set per kitchen and we are hoping to engrave Rotaract plates on each kitchen. Kitchen construction will begin in the spring (possibly one kitchen this fall)
Bursaries (Dave) – Bursaries (one for each local high school – GHS, HHS, BMLSS, St. Dom’s). Sydney raised the idea of us issuing scholarships to children to attend Great Moose Adventures or Montessori that struggle to attend mainstream, but families cannot afford alternative options.
Tree Planting (James) – James will research funding sources, both external and from Rotary. Tree planting would commence in the spring of 2018.
Vinyl Valentines (Madison and Kristi) – Event planning began on Friday, November 3rd for this fantastic event. Save the Date: Saturday, February 10th, 2018!
– Allia, Shelby, Rebecca, and Candice will be shopping this week. We are doing 5 boxes for a total of $250. We will send out a challenge to local Rotary Clubs. Kristi will liaise with HHS Interact Club, who will wrap our boxes. We will offer them $100 to fill two boxes and we will fill three. If you wish to donate money to this cause, please let us know ASAP! http://www.shoeboxproject.com/muskoka.html
Rotary Zone Institute
– Madison went to Connecticut and met with the president of Rotary International. Our club is going to make a challenge for Rotaract and Rotary Clubs in our district to plant trees with us prior to April 22, 2019
Mentorship Programs with local Rotary Clubs
– Madison has been in contact with some local clubs to further our relationship with local Rotary Clubs.
Next Meeting – Thursday, November 23rd
Please join us at the Old Station for a social evening. Bringing friends, significant others and prospective members is encouraged at this meeting! (Our meeting this Thursday, November 9th is cancelled due to the Foundation Dinner last week).
Can’t wait to see you all at our Social Evening!